Fear of MRI procedure is a common phobias that can have implications for general health when prescribed by a physician.
We have successfully helped clients who have struggled with a range of symptoms and intensity. These range from debilitating anxiety in the weeks prior to the procedure up to a total avoidance of MRI’s.
Symptoms and characteristics of MRI phobia
- Anticipation of an upcoming MRI creates intense anxiety.
- Parts or the entirety of the procedure create intense anxiety.
- A sense that the fear is excessive or illogical.
- Panic attacks that can include symptoms but not limited to heart palpitations, sweating, shortness of breath, chest pain, nausea, feeling dizzy or lightheaded, depersonalization, and fear of dying.
Using a collaborative approach clients learn effective coping skills to challenge their fear and avoidance.
- State-of-the-art virtual reality therapy is used to help clients reduce their anxiety and avoidance in the face of their fears.
- We teach clients how to manage their anxiety through mindfulness, relaxation, breathing techniques, and cognitive approaches.
- Clients are led through gradual exposure therapy to reduce the fear associated with all aspects of air travel. With exposure they gain increased confidence by using new coping skills as they engage in behavioral challenges (in and outside of the office).
Contact us to learn more about treatment for MRI phobia.