Fear of Flying
Fear of flying is one of the most common phobias affecting nearly in the general population. Fear of airplane safety is quite common even when we understand logically how safe it is to travel by air. Perhaps even more prevalent is the fear that we will have a panic attack during the flight. Flying phobia can inhibit our lives in so many ways and rob us our freedom.
We have successfully helped clients who have struggled with a range of symptoms and intensity. These range from debilitating anxiety in the weeks prior to a flight up to a total avoidance of flying that has lasted years.We have worked with clients who have missed significant family events and have had their careers affected by the reluctance to fly. We regularly work with clients that have been able to reclaim their love of travel by becoming comfortable with flying. A few have even seen their hard work pay off in actually enjoying the flight!
We incorporate virtual reality to help people overcome phobias.
Here's a video highlighting treatment for fear of flying. Ask us more more about how we help clients get over fear of flying and other phobias.
Posted by Behavior Therapy of New York on Tuesday, September 20, 2016
Symptoms and characteristics of flying phobia
- Anticipation of an upcoming flight creates intense anxiety.
- Parts or the entirety of the flight create intense anxiety.
- A sense that the fear is excessive or illogical.
- Panic attacks that can include symptoms but not limited to heart palpitations, sweating, shortness of breath, chest pain, nausea, feeling dizzy or lightheaded, depersonalization, and fear of dying.
Using a collaborative approach clients learn effective coping skills to challenge their fear and avoidance.
- State-of-the-art virtual reality therapy is used to help clients reduce their anxiety and avoidance in the face of their fears.
- We teach clients how to manage their anxiety through mindfulness, relaxation, breathing techniques, and cognitive approaches.
- Clients are led through gradual exposure therapy to reduce the fear associated with all aspects of air travel. With exposure they gain increased confidence by using new coping skills as they engage in behavioral challenges (in and outside of the office).
Contact us to learn more about treatment for flying phobia.