We use cognitive behavioral approaches to help clients improve their quality of sleep. Better sleep helps us sharpen our focus, elevate mood and lower anxiety.
We are experienced in teaching people practical skills to quiet a racing mind and settle down for a better night of sleep.
A good night of sleep can become elusive when we get caught in the cycle of stress. We can find ourselves trying too hard to sleep, losing the natural rhythm with which we were born. Fear that our performance will suffer at work can keep us staring at the ceiling in the middle of the night, creating just the scenario we are trying to avoid. Medications can provide short-term relief but many people begin to rely on them long-term often creating a new set of problems.
Take a look below to see some of the characteristics of sleep difficulties we address and the tools we give our clients to get a better night of sleep.
Characteristics of Sleep Problems We Treat
- Types addressed: Insomnia, difficulties falling asleep or sleeping through the night, early morning awakenings, nocturnal panic, sleep/wake cycle disturbance.
- Sleep problems are often the result of a combination of factors, including underlying physical or psychological problems.
- Problems such as anxiety and depression are often correlated with and exacerbated by sleep problems.
- May be due to behavioral factors, including the misuse of caffeine, alcohol, or other substances.
- Disrupted sleep/wake cycles may occur with shift work or other nighttime activity schedules; and chronic stress.
- Daytime symptoms of poor sleep include fatigue, anxiety, poor concentration, impaired memory, and irritability.
- Relaxation techniques and stress management tools
- Guided audio CD for relaxation
- Cognitive tools, mindfulness techniques to reduce racing thoughts that disturb sleep.
- Clients learn to improve sleep behaviors making better sleep more possible
- Biofeedback approached to help clients control the physical and psychological aspects crucial to a good night’s sleep.
Contact Behavior Therapy of New York to learn about improving your sleep.