Solutions for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder can affect every facet of our lives making our world become smaller and smaller.
Many of our clients who otherwise perform at extremely high levels are held back by repetitive thoughts and behaviors. These clients also begin to avoid situations and places where the OCD might get triggered adding an entirely new layer of stress and complication.
Employing cognitive behavioral strategies like exposure and response prevention we help our clients free themselves of the symptoms of OCD that continues to hold them back from realizing their potential.
Contact us to learn more about how we can help you feel free from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
Characteristics of OCD
- Obsessive thoughts and/or unwanted repetitive behaviors. Obsessions may include unwanted disturbing images or intrusive thoughts that the individual attempts to ignore or suppress with other thoughts or behaviors.
- Obsessions may include, but not limited to, thoughts that the individual has hurt someone, fear of contamination, or unwanted sexual thoughts.
- Repetitive behaviors/compulsions are conducted to eliminate intrusive thoughts. Examples of compulsive behaviors may include hand washing, checking, counting, repeating words, or praying. Rituals cause great discomfort in people and get in the way of their comfortable living.
- Clients learn strategies to quiet disturbing thoughts and images such as graded exposure, mindfulness and cognitive coping techniques.
- Clients learn to significantly reduce the rituals that take up so much of their time and energy using researched techniques like response prevention.
- Referral for medication and/or consultation with your medical professional is sometimes an important aspect of treating OCD.
Contact Behavior Therapy of New York to learn more about managing your symptoms and gaining freedom from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.