Conquer your Phobias with Cognitive Behavioral Strategies
We help people with a variety of phobias using a cognitive behavioral approach (CBT). CBT helps our clients gradually reduce their fear around the phobic situation and reclaim the freedom to go about lives.
Phobias can infiltrate so many areas of people’s lives making seemingly simple tasks so much more complicated. Our work with clients often involves going outside the office to assist them in the gradual exposure work. Read below to get a further understanding of the characteristics of phobias and the tools to reduce them.
Contact us to learn more about how we can help you free yourself of your phobia.
- Phobias are characterized by persistent fear and avoidance of objects or situations.
- Common phobias include subways, flying, emetophobia (fear of vomiting) bridges and tunnels, heights, enclosed places, animals, insects, or needles.
Symptoms of phobias include:
- intense anxiety when the feared object or situation is encountered,
- a sense that the fear is excessive or illogical, and
- occasional panic attacks.
Phobias are treated by teaching individuals effective cognitive and coping tools that help them challenge their fear and avoidance.
- State-of-the-art virtual reality therapy is used to help clients reduce their anxiety and avoidance in the face of their fears.
- Clients are taught how to best manage their anxiety through mindfulness, relaxation, breathing techniques, and cognitive challenges.
- Different types of exposure therapy are used to lessen the fear associated with the phobic object or situation. Clients can gain increased confidence by using new coping skills as they engage in behavioral challenges (in and outside of the office).
Contact Behavior Therapy of New York to learn more about how you can be freed from your phobias.